Sunday, August 19, 2007

Setup Bluetooth with Feisty

Ever since I've published my post Sync Moto Razr with Laptop, a few people have asked me how I setup bluetooth on my ubuntu feisty laptop in the first place.

This setup was seamless and I got my motorola razr phone talking to my laptop in minutes. Here's what I had to do
  • sudo apt-get install bluetooth gnome-bluetooth
  • sudo apt-get install bluez-gnome bluez-utils
  • Plugin my bluetooth USB dongle and I see it recognizes the device and starts up bluetooth-applet in the system tray.
  • Search for laptop from the phone using bluetooth.
  • To send a file from phone to laptop, startup bluetooth file sharing from Applications -> Accessories on ubuntu and then try sending a file. You should see a pop up dialog on your desktop asking you to either accept/reject the transfer.
  • To send a file from your laptop to your phone, right click the file and then select sendTo.
  • You'll receive a message on your phone asking you to accept the transfer.
Hope this helps. Please leave me a comment if this was useful or if you had to do something different. I'll be only glad to update this tutorial.

3 comments:

Free Woman said...

hey sreejith- long time no post? tell priyanka to pose her recipes na,

Anonymous said...

Everyone should see this.. http://www.project71.com/readme Enjoyy!

Anonymous said...

These instructions worked fine for me with a Nokia 6555. Thanks