Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Life's Feisty!!!

So this weekend was spent getting Feisty Fawn installed on my laptop. I decided to do a complete reformat of my partition structure, getting rid of my current working versions of Dapper Drake and Edy Eft.

1. The installation was smooth however nothing extraordinaire as written and talked everywhere. The migration client is a smart tool for newbies coming from the windows world.

2. I have broadcom 4306 wirless card and the installation failed to install the firmware. So the much talked about improved wireless support didn't benefit me. So I had to install the fwcutter utility and the firmware to get wireless working. Also I see that the network manager doesn't connect back after hibernate :((

3. For a change I used Automatix to install all the codecs at one go. DVD playback is choppy and I am not able to set dma on the drive as before :(

4. mplayer firefox plugin didn't show streaming video. I had to right click on the window and configure to use x11 instead of xv to get it working. Don't remember doing this on previous releases.

5. Songs from http://www.raaga.com are not playable now using dev version of Realplayer 10.1 which was working for me before.

6. Banshee now works with my ipod without issues. Haven't yet installed Amarok.

7. My battery life hasn't improved yet - it still does better on WinXP.

8. The brightness control work out-of-the-box.

So the big question - So how does Feisty fare ?
The migration client, the automated codec installer, network-manager by default along with the extra bling and polish makes it a wonderful a great desktop distro for the newbee.

However, from my perspective it replaced a very well customized and efficient system, with a new system that still needs some tweaking. All said I still like it a lot.

No comments: